Some of you must have been wondering where I’ve been, as it’s all been rather quiet on the old blog front the last couple of months and I’ve barely commented on all the lovely and wonderful blogs that I normally follow.
Well, my family has been hit with some rather sad but not totally unexpected news.
About 6 weeks ago, my Dad went into hospital not feeling well. After multiple tests including a camera being put down his throat, we learned that he has a 5″ cancerous tumour in his oesophagus and stomach.
It’s inoperable and chemotheraphy or radiotherapy aren’t options; their side effects far outweigh any short term benefits.
His oncologist said
‘You’re looking at months, rather than years.’
It’s the reason why I’ve not really blogged much, understandably.
We hope he’ll make his and Mum’s 56th wedding anniversary in August. We’re not so sure about his 85th birthday in November.
Today on Father’s Day my siblings and I celebrated the day with my parents, sitting in the garden and we all toasted him with fizz and good food. He laughed as he watched me win at Twister against Tall Brown Fox, one of my nieces and his weekend carer. All that Pilates training was finally put to good use!
Tall Brown Fox and I were able to go away on our planned holiday last month thankfully. My Mum was very adamant about that! To be honest I wanted time away from blogging. I’m still wrestling with whether to continue blogging as with everything going on, my blogging schedule will be erratic to say the least!
For now though, I’ve decided that even if it’s erratic, I’ll still blog. Posts may well be few and far between, so I hope you’ll bear with me. If nothing else, it will be a welcomed distraction from making sure the last few months of Dad’s life will be as comfortable as possible, whilst I and the rest of my family support my Mum through the next inevitable painful steps.
Anyway, let us move onto some better news, shall we?
Thanks to Lisa at Independent Fashion Bloggers; I was one of the 20 articles chosen for their weekly round up – Links à la Mode. It’s always a boost to be picked, especially this week in the light of the sad news about my Dad and feeling somewhat demotivated to blog.
I’ve always loved fabrics and thought it about time I did a post on Styling Fabrics. I included some of my favourite ones such as chambray, denim and suede. The outfit also evolved to have a hint of the 1920’s about it, with a black devoré kimono, long beaded necklace and shot silk, bamboo handle bag.
Onto the links…
If you’re a crafty type person, you’ll love the DIY tutorial on turning a pair of sandals into a pom pom delight from Sparklin’ Serendipity.
I really enjoyed mis papelicos’s article on indestructible fashion with wonderful photos from the 1940s including one of her Mum!
All links are below, so why not dive in and discover some new blogs!
Lisa Walker writes: I thought it was truly remarkable that IFB Bloggers captured Summer in all five senses this week – see, hear, touch, smell, taste. Wearing midi length skirts, paisley prints, bohemian-chic looks, bright cheery colours, and tried and true chambray. Watching movies and scanning the Tony Awards for the best looks. Reading about a Summer spent on the French Riviera. Creating a vision of pom-pom delight. Listening to music that you can dance the night away with. And cooking food to be savoured with friends.
Cheers to having an ideal Summer.
Links à la Mode, June 16
- Aesthetic Distance: Jawbreaker: An Ode to to High School Girl Squad Movies
- A Handful of Stories: Le Déjeuner sur l’Herbe
- Attire Club: The Best Dressed Men of the 2016 Tony Awards
- Cat Eyes & Skinny Jeans: Currently Crushing…
- Fashion Panache: Travel Style | Midi Skirt & Unisex Bag
- Fashion Tails: Foodie Tales and Summer Tunes
- Five Foot Nothing Shopping: The Choices for a Petite Bride to Be
- From the Soles Up: Curves, Confidence and CON-TOOOOUR!
- Greige Market: And Everything is to the Back with a Little Slack
- The House Blend: Madrid in May
- I’m a Norbyah: Beating the Heat in Vintage
- Les Assorties’: What’s Your Legacy | Pushing Sustainable Fashion Forward
- Life in the Fash Lane: Summer Print Series | Paisley
- Mis Papelicos: Let’s Sunday | Fashion is Indestructible
- MySelf Expressed: Mood | Beach Dreamer
- Petite Silver Vixen: Styling Fabrics | Denim, Devoré, Chambray, Suede, Silk
- Sassy Ethnic Bohemian: Summer Brights on Fleek
- Sparklin Serendipity: Pom Pom Sandal DIY Tutorial
- The Sugar Ribbon: How to Wear Bohemian-Chic in 2016
- We Are Ready Made: For the Boys Who Like to Dress Up